Summer Catalogue

Friday, August 11, 2006

Reading Requirements

Posted by Kathy | E-Mail The Author

Ah, yes. I remember high school - back in the day (as my daughter refers to it). We had a required reading list associated with our English classes. No excuses, no exceptions --- we were required to read and review books from a list of "classics." Now, if we wanted to attend college, the list of required and/or suggested reading grew even longer. By the time my youngest daughter was making her way through high school, reading requirements were a thing of the past. While I complained about it myself when I was in school and college, somehow I believe my daughter would have been better served to have had the same kind of requirement and to have discussed them in class with fellow students; not on a voluntary basis but as part of the normal requirements.

When younger I set a task for myself to continue to read all of the books on the then "suggested" reading lists -- just to be able to say that I had read them (which of course meant that I could view myself as particularly well educated!). And then, as a secondary task I started to read anything else written by the author on the orginal list. Whew!!! These days, I simply read what I enjoy -- doesn't matter whether its on a list somewhere or not. I like books that tell good stories...and that entertain me or suit my mood. Which for me means everything from westerns, science fiction, fantasy, historical romances, action & adventure, contemporary romances, especially today's current crop of vampire(or like characters) novels, to cozy mysteries and thrillers. Yep, I'll read just about any genre -- with the exception of horror novels. Now those will give me sleepless nights and continuing nightmares.

That said, I thought it might be interesting to list some of the books that were required reading, once upon a time:

Robinson Crusoe - written by Daniel Defoe in 1719
Gulliver's Travels - written by Jonathan Swift in 1726
Tom Jones - written by Henry Fielding in 1749
Pride and Prejudice - written by Jane Austin in 1813
Wuthering Heights - written by Emily Bronte in 1847
Moby-Dick - written by Herman Melville in 1851
Les Miserables - written by Victor Hugo in 1862
War and Peace - written by Leo Tolstoy in 1865
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - written by Mark Twain in 1885
Ulysses - written by James Joyce in 1922
The Great Gatsby - written by F. Scott Fitzgerald in 1925
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - written by Betty Smith in 1943

These are only a few from the list - but I thought these might be more familar to people today. All of these books are a part of our modern culture -- names that we recognize no matter where or how they are used. You may not have read the book, but you are familiar with it nonetheless.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

ArtFire - Buy Handmade - Sell Handmade

SELL WITH NO LISTING FEES
Register Here !





Blog Of the Week


Winsome Gunning Art WalkDon't miss all the fun ... go check-out their AWESOME blog !



Visitors Since
June 17th, 2006:















Abbey's Carolinas This-N-That
Annabella's Gift Shop
Ann's Mix-N-Match Mosaics
Bauers Toys For All Ages
Blue Morning Expressions
Carolina Girl
Cookie Jar Junction
Creative Beadz
Cynderellis Books and Crafts
Divine Nature Cosmetics
Fraziers Finds
Gear For Health
HTF Toys and More
JoFlora's Unique Antiques
Kalama Quilts Crafts Books and More
Kathy's Kupboard
KC's Kozy Korner
Lorna’s Re-Use It Decor
Lynn's Vintage Villa
Maggie's Handcraft Studio
More Fond Memories Antiques
My Mercado Mexican Imports
Once Upon A Bid
Paper Lion
Pinman's Stamp Pin Design Store
Red Headed Witch
REJOICE Used Church Choir Music
Scarborough Seashells
Silver Lotus
Solovay Contemporary Art
Something 4 Sum1
Sooshis Corner
STC Rubber Stamps
Take Time For Fun
Teaphoria
0tinam0 Scrapbooks Galore
The Treasure Nest
Treats For All
Winter House Wares

Want to find simply the best service, prices, and selection on eBay ? Search eBay Stores and find exactly what you are looking for !


Make your voice heard.